Sunday, April 21, 2013

Blog Post #13

Quivers and the Blended Learning Cycle

A high school teacher in Montana, Mr. Paul Andersen, created his blog Bozemanscience.com that has various videos with a range of topics from biology to physics. I know that I wish that I had found out about his blog sooner when I was struggling with a few topics in my chemistry class. His instructional videos would definitely be worth browsing through if one has a concept that may not be perfectly clear. Mr. Andersen created a video that discusses his approach to the Blending Learning Cycle. His method uses six steps that he has named "QuIVER". The name he created stands for each of the following steps in his technique:
1. Ask Questions 2. Perform an investigation, and inquire the many possibilities 3. Provide a video instruction for the topic in question 4. Elaborate on the meaning of the investigation 5. Review the information given and tested 6. Take a summary quiz to test the students knowledge and understanding
This teaching hybrid must be added to the list of appealing techniques in the classroom. It allows the students to be hands on, and also using various resources to take the topic in question and help connect any loose ends or vague ideas. I have taken a couple classes with required "labs" which turned out to be my professor reading a powerpoint. For the course that it was, it would seem that a hands on approach is more appropriate in order to teach the lesson properly. Mr. Andersen's method allows the students to learn a topic with multiple resources and then test their knowledge to ensure that they understand. I believe that this may also allow for a higher success rate by reaching students who learn differently than just reading or writing the information. Again, I advise anyone who is studying sciences, or has an interest in them, to visit Mr. Andersen's blog and view his videos.

1 comment:

  1. I wish I would have had a teacher like him in high school. Or like you said, known about his blogs sooner. It would have helped a lot. I'll definitely be using him as a reference when I become a teacher.

    ReplyDelete